The Drawing Window
The core of Doodle Studio 95! is the Drawing Window.
To open it, click the menu option in the Window menu:
You can use the Doodle Studio 95! drawing window to edit Doodle Animation Files or any regular Texture.
Note: When loading a regular Texture, any Sprites will be used as frames. The edited animation will be saved as an Animation File.
To load a file drag that file into the window.
If Norbert doesn’t like it that means that file is not supported.
Create a new animation
Saves the current animation to a Doodle Animation File
- Save (Replace): Replaces the current animation
- Save As…: Saves the animation as a new file
- Save As Sprite Sheet: Saves the animation as a texture sheet, and imports each frame as a Sprite.
- Save As GIF: Saves the animation as a GIF file
A one-click way of adding your animation to your scene. It creates all the necessary objects and components so you don’t have to.
- Add as Sprite: Creates an object with a default Sprite renderer.
- Add as Sprite (Shadow Casting): Makes a Sprite renderer that casts shadows, to make 2.5D worlds.
- Add as UI Image: Makes an Image inside of a Canvas using the Unity UI system.
- Add as Particles: Makes a particle system.
- Brush size
From Tiny to Excessive
- Ink Brush
When on, your brush will get bigger the faster you draw to simulate ink. It’s kind of funky.
- Only Paint Behind
When on, it’ll only draw behind existing strokes. Great for adding color to your characters.
- Brush size: From Tiny to Excessive
Changes how the paint is applied
- Instant, default, will instantly add paint to the empty area you click on.
- Random will start adding paint in a random direction while you hold the mouse button.
- Sideways will add paint horizontally (or maybe vertically) while you hold the mouse button.
- Growing will add paint outwards while you hold the mouse button.
- Rainbow Mode: When on, it’ll paint with ALL the colors. Combine this with different Effect modes for funky results.
When Record mode is on, frames will be added while you hold the mouse and draw.
See Make a squiggle with your mouse for a guide on how to use Record mode.
- Play / Pause
- Advance one frame
- Playback Mode
- Loop will repeat the animation endlessly.
- Back and Forth will ping-pong back and forth, forever.
- Carefully curated Slow, Normal and Fast speeds.
- Add Frame
- Delete Frame
- Make Frame Longer
- Make Frame Shorter
- Duplicate Frame
- Color picker
Use this to pick a color and add or remove it from your palette
- [+] (Add Color) Adds the color to your current palette. Grayed out if the color is already there.
- [-] (Remove Color) Deletes the color from the current palette. Grayed out if the color isn’t in it.
- Color palette
Lets you choose colors and manage your own color palettes
- [> ]> Opens the next palette on the list
- [P+] Creates a new palette
I had a turtle when I was a kid. I don’t remember what happened to it.
- Checkerboard Mode
The type of background to show behind your drawing.
- Light is the default, good for drawing with dark colors.
- Dark checkerboard for drawing with bright colors. This is useful for drawing with a white brush, so you can recolor the image with a Particle System or Sprite renderer.
- Onion Skin
When on, it overlays the previous and the next frame on top of your drawing
- Symmetry Mode
Arguably the most fun part of the tool
- Four Ways is great for UI
- Playing Card: A 45 degree symmetry for drawing playing cards
Flips the image horizontally.
Fun fact: Flipping the image vertically is much more CPU intensive than flipping it horizontally.
New Animation Window
The NEW button opens the New Animation window, with simple presets to get started right away.
- Name lets you name your animaton (Optional)
- Style Knob Lets you toggle drawing styles
- Chunky for low rez pixelly grungy animations, they’re fast and delicious
- Smooth for larger, detailed images with smooth scaling
- Character makes a tall image good for a character sprite
- Landscape makes a wide image good for backgrounds
- Square is good for particles, items and other graphics
- UI Frame comes preset with four-ways symmetry and 9 slicing, perfect for drawing windows
- Playing Card is a fun tall preset with diagonal symmetry for drawing playing cards
- Custom lets you input the exact size you want